Monday, December 21, 2009

Advent Fast Day 21

The fast is almost over and I am surprised to say that I will be sad to see it end. One thing for sure is that I need to incorporate the discipline of fasting into my life. Not just to fast corporately but to fast individually as well. I can't say that this fast has been a time when I heard God loud and clear. it has been a struggle. There has definitely been a battle of wills. Am i willing to give up things so that i can hunger for God more. Ashamedly I would have to say no. My actions say no even though my heart screams yes.

Remember those "trinkets" that I was bemoaning about? They no longer seem important. I can actually say that if I never eat it again it would be okay. I went into this thing thinking that I would have this mountain top experience and walk away with the Shekinah glory all about me but truth be told, I am just now beginning to figure out how to really fast. This has been a struggle as I have learned that it wasn't enough just to give something up. I needed to replace it with a hunger for God's Word and God's Presence.

In actuality it is God who has shown up mightily in this time as our Jehovah-Jireh. I have been humbled beyond belief at the good gifts God has showered down on us. I didn't do the fast to ask for anything for ourselves. I did it to pray for revival for our church. And then God poured out blessing upon blessing, measure upon measure in a way that no one could explain except to say that is was all God.

So for the next four days I will continue to forgo my "trinkets." I will continue to long for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and I will wait in expectancy to see the revival that He will bring about within our community.

BTW, the trinkets I gave up was cheese. That includes cream cheese, cheesecake, and a variety of other delectable that I hadn't thought of when I originally decided to fast from cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment