Saturday, November 14, 2009

Revival

The last several months have been exciting and difficult at the same time. Exciting in that we see God at work in many areas and difficult in that some of those areas God was showing us beliefs or habits that needed to be changed. There has been confession and repentance and transformation and abundance. In that order! What a beautiful thing it is to see that God is continually working to complete His work in us. Don't get me wrong, a couple of weeks ago I would not be able to have written this blog with a joyful attitude because the sin that God had brought to light were painful. But now, now that we have been forgiven and set free from bondage, we are rejoicing. Recently our pastor challenged the body to fast for Advent.
I know I was like, what? Advent? What is Advent? (I am probably the only one who didn't know.) Anyways, from November 29-December 24, we are going to corporately fast in whatever way God directs us to. To tell you the truth, I was afraid to ask God what He would have me to give up. I'm selfish! Gimme a break. After my panicked heart settled down I knew that I had to rise up to this challenge because I know my God and He wants me to want Him more. So I began to pray and seek what God would have me to give up. Surprisingly enough, the answer came quite quickly. I am going to give up my Friday and Saturday night TV time with Dustin so I could be in the Word more. We have viewed Friday and Saturday our date night since we watch our favorite TV shows online. It is a time that I have jealously guarded. And then I heard my sweet Lord calling me to be with my true groom, Jesus Christ.

With that settled I no longer feel anxious but am excited about the wonders and treasures God will show me. Funny thing is, I thought that wasn't enough to give up and began to let God know that I would give up all movies and TV for that time to make it harder and more dramatic. And once again, my sweet Lord reminded me that He did not ask me to give up those things. He asked me for a very specific time and days. To make it more would be for my glory rather than His. Isn't it like us humans to blow things out of proportion. I am so glad that God is ever patient with me. I am really looking forward to this fast. I am excited to see the way God will not only grow Dustin and I but also how he will grow our church body as well.

Pray for us. Pray for First Baptist. Pray for Ojai. Pray for revival.

No comments:

Post a Comment