Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Great Grandma Stories

This week we are hosting Great-Grandma in our home....it is actually grandma-sitting but I think hosting has a better sound to it. She is quite the colorful lady and will be turning 89 next week...at least we think she is. (They didn't keep great records back then so we may be off by a couple of months or even years.)
I was thinking of keeping track of all the funny things she says. Yesterday I took Naomi to her Ta Kwon Do class and she wanted to watch some TV. So I left it on for her and she watched news for the hour. When I came home she said to me in her heavily accented English, "I am going to write a letter to that colored man because he is going to ruin health care." It took me a moment to understand what she was saying and then I had to keep from laughing because she was so serious about it.
And then today she was telling me a story about someone and she said that the woman was an "economic." as she gestured to someone taking a swig out of a bottle. And I realized she meant to say that she was an alcoholic. Sigh. It is going to be an interesting week.

No comments:

Post a Comment