Thursday, April 30, 2009

Honey

Our verse this week for our school is Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy to the body." We have talked at great length about what kind of words are like honey and what kind of words are like garbage. It has been fun to watch the concept metamorphosis within the kid's minds.

At first it was simple like, "I know what words are honey. I love you. Thank you. I am happy. ...etc.." Which are all well and grand but still very self-centered. Then the phrases turned to: "I like my brother. You are a good Daddy. You are a good drawer. Thank you for helping me. Please." Great! We are expressing ourselves to others within the spirit of the verse.

And then today at Costco, a woman spilled her drink all over the floor and partly her full cart and only had one napkin to try to wipe up this huge mess of ice and sticky ice tea. She couldn't leave her cart so I instructed Josiah to get more napkins and give them to her. Which he did and she said thank you and we went on our way. Two parking lot aisles later Josiah exclaims, "Hey Mom! That was like honey. What happened over there was like honey!! I got her napkins and she said thank you." The kids were beaming with the connection they made of a real event and the Bible verse. It was so neat to see their little smiley faces. The incident began a further discussion that not only are words like honey but so are some deeds of goodness.

Thanks Lord for another teachable lesson for all of us.

1 comment: