Friday, August 7, 2009

What was I thinking?

I have always scoffed at the kind of women who leave their children because they want to live their own lives or who demand "me" time on the weekends or go on Girls Only cruises with their BFFs. Just seems so egocentric and narcissistic to go to such extremes and negate the duty of family. Yet as I going my journey on Spark People, I realize that I am just as bad but in the opposite direction. In an effort to serve and love my family, I have completely ignore my daily needs as a mom and I didn't even know it!

When I first began keeping track using the Nutrition Tracker, I was shocked that I was not even eating 1000 calories a day nor was I getting the protein, fat and carbs my body needs. I would have never believed it had I not done the work myself. I was shocked. I have a friend that gets so busy that she forgets to eat and I always thought that was nonsense. But I was doing the same thing! I would eat the crust of the bread left over from the kid's sandwiches but forget to make my own. I would start drinking a bottle of water and then forget where I put it and end up not drinking any water at all. I also would make snacks for the kids but never eat with them because I was the story reader and couldn't have my mouth full. None of these are bad in and of themselves but when they become a part of the routine and a part of life, the consequences are dangerous. In my case it has lead to extreme fatigue and crankiness and my body holding onto as much weight as possible instead of the normal process that it needs to go through.

I am proud to say that this Mamma has learned a huge lesson and will be portraying a healthy lifestyle for my kids from here on out. A lifestyle that promotes the importance of spiritual, mental and physical health.

*taken from my blog at www.sparkpeople.com

No comments:

Post a Comment